Strawberry Tart With Crushed Meringue & Mint
This is a great summer treat, and any combination of fresh seasonal fruit will work well. Just pile high, top with crushed meringue and drizzle over the yogurt dressing.
For the base
- 225g Gluten-Free Flour Mix A
- 1 level tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 100g Stork margarine
- 1 medium egg, beaten at room temperature
- 1 -2 tbsp cold water
For the top
- 250g fresh, thick custard, ready to eat
- 200g mascarpone cream cheese
- 150g strawberries, halved
- 100g blueberries
- 1 tbsp mint, chopped
- 50g meringues, crushed, large pieces
- 20cm flan tin with removable base
- To make the pastry case: preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas Mark 4.
- Grease and line a loose-based fluted flan tin and base-line with baking parchment.
- Mix the flour with the xanthan gum and sugar and then add the margarine, rubbing in until your mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs. Beat the egg, reserve a little to brush the pastry case with during baking, then add the rest of it to your mixture, along with 1 tablespoon water, and mix well to make a dough.
- Keep an eye on the texture; you may need to add another tablespoon of water so it’s nice and soft.
- Roll out the pastry, on a work surface dusted with cornflour, to a 22cm circle. Lift the pastry carefully into the tin and press it into the base and up the sides. Shape the pastry into the sides with your thumbs, but don’t make it too thin.
- Line with a layer of baking parchment and baking beans and then bake blind for 15 minutes.
- Carefully lift out the parchment with the baking beans, brush the pastry case, base and sides, with the remaining beaten egg and return it to the oven for another 10 minutes.
- Remove and set aside to cool.
- Make the filling: beat the custard and mascarpone together in a medium bowl, using a hand-held electric whisk. Spread this mixture into the cooked and cooled pastry case. Top with the strawberries and blueberries. Mix the mint into the crushed meringues and pile on the top. Chill the tart for 30 minutes.
- Combine all the dressing ingredients in a serving jug and chill.
- Serve the tart no longer than 2 hours after filling it or it will go soggy. Serve chilled slices of the tart with the dressing.
For best results remove from the fridge 30 minutes before eating, so the fruit is not too cold.
Tags: Gluten Free
Trackback from your site.